PE Central Challenge©
Hula hoop for 20 seconds with the hoop starting
around the waist and remaining off the ground (floor) the entire
Pictures/Videos of this Challenge
- Hula Hoops (at least 30"
- 32" in diameter is recommended, but is really up to participants)
Start and Stop Signal:
- A roomy space with a flat surface.
- Each youngster begins with the hula hoop
held at waist level.
- On the "go" command, the youngster begins
to hula hoop.
- Time "stops" when the hula hoop touches the
- The challenge is successfully completed when the
youngster keeps the hula hoop off the floor for 20 seconds.
- Youngsters may have unlimited opportunities to pass this
- It is recommended that the hula hoop be at least 30"
- 32" in diameter.
- If the hoop is too small or too large the
challenge may become too difficult. Therefore when appropriate,
encourage youngsters to try hoops with various sized diameters.
Hula hoops can be made from 3/4" or 1/2" poly pipe (normally used
for sprinklers). The pipe can be purchased in most plumbing or
- When cutting the pipe, the length of each
piece, should be cut three times the diameter desired (e.g. if a
diameter of 30" is desired, then the length of the pipe should be
- To join ends together, cut a 1" piece of doweling the
same size as the pipe, rub it with Elmer's glue, and place it
between the two open ends. Place a piece of tape over the
connected joint and let dry overnight in a warm place.
- "Ready Position": Position the hoop against the small of the
- "Parallel to Ground": Make sure the hoop is parallel to the
- "Spin that Hoop": Normally, if one is right handed the
hoop should be spun to the left. However, if one is left handed
the hoop should be spun to the right.
- "Move that Waist": To keep
the hoop going, move the waist in a circular, rhythmic motion.
- "Bend Knees": Keep knees slightly bent.
- "Arms Up": Sometimes it is
helpful to keep arms in the air.
- Choose a larger hoop!
Ideas Adapting Challenge for Students with Disabilities:
- Hula hoop on an arm or leg for 20 seconds
- hula with both arms simultaneously
- Turn a scarf in the air for 20 seconds
- With hoop on ground, have student in wheelchair wheels around hoop for 20 seconds
- Increase or decrease time as needed
- turn ribbon in overhead, side, and frontal plane for 20 sec. each
- turn ribbon in large circular pattern in frontal plane for 20 sec
- wave short ribbon as modeled by teacher
[Back to PE Central Challenge Menu]
| Lesson Ideas
| Assessment Ideas
| PEC Store
| PE Books & Music
| PE Products/Equipment
| Professional Info
| Kids Quotes
| Adapted PE
| Preschool PE
| Classroom Management
| Job Center
| Top Web Sites
| PE Research
| Best Practices
| PEC Challenge
| Instructional Resources
| NASPE Listserv
| About PEC
| Submit Your Ideas
| FAQ's |
Contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail to:
P.O. Box 10262
Blacksburg, VA 24062