Adaptations Used for the 1999 PE Central Challenge
Oklahoma School for the Blind
By Karen Allen
Student Name: _________________
Challenge 1: Balance Shuffle
Description: 8" x 4" board. Partners walk, exchange places without any body part touching the floor.
- Balance bench - individual walks and steps over pylon. (bench is 12" wide)
- balance bench - individual walks and steps over bean bag.
- propel wheelchair over floor beam
- commando crawl down bench.
** all practice walking forward, backward, side stepping, turning, pivoting, jump dismount.
Challenge 2: Hula Hooping
Description: Hula hoop held at waist level, hula for 20 seconds, time stops when it touches the floor.
- hula hoop on preferred arm for 20 sec.
- hula with both arms simultaneously
- turn ribbon in overhead, side, and frontal plane for 20 sec. each.
- turn ribbon in large circular pattern in frontal plane for 20 sec.
- wave short ribbon as modeled by teacher.
Challenge 3: Jump that Rope
Description: Jump rope (any style) non stop for 90 seconds.
- two ropes turning to side while jogging for one minute
- both handles of one rope held in left hand, both handles of one rope held in right hand, student turns ropes as if turning one rope, but no rope will pass under feet.
- two ropes turning to side while stationary for one minute
- one rope turning to side while jogging for one minute
- one rope turning to side while stationary for one minute
- jumping, hopping, jogging in place rhythmically for one minute
- self turning & stepping through large hoop 5 times.
- hold rope in different body planes as requested & modeled by teacher.
- rhythmically recite jump rope rhyme.
Challenge 4: Volley Up
Description: In a group of 3, volley 10 times in a row without letting ball touch the ground.
- same as above with beach ball
- same as above with balloon.
- self volley inside large hula hoop 10 times with balloon or volley ball.
- volley with teacher, 10X using balloon or beach ball.
- scarf juggling - self toss & catch ____ times.
- catch ball tossed in high arc by teacher ____times.
- launch ball 5 times overhead with foot launcher.
Challenge 5: Partner Throw & Catch
Description: Partner throw & catch, 30 times from a distance of 30 ft., minimum 15 catches each
- teacher to student throw & catch, 10 to 19 ft, minimum 10 catches, ind. ball choice
- teacher to student throw & catch, 3 to 9 ft, minimum 10 catches, ind. ball choice
- teacher to student throw & catch, 3 to 9 ft, minimum ____ catches, ind. ball choice
- launch ball/beanbag chest high 5 times using foot launchers.
- launch ball/ beanbag a self catch _____times out of ten.
- catch/snatch scarf tossed by teacher ____times.
- catch & push beach or bell ball 5 times rolled across ping pong table. *(wheelchair pushed next to tableās edge).
Challenge 6: Paddle Strike
Description: Strike a ball with paddle or racket continuously for 60 seconds while standing in 3-4 foot diameter space.
- strike ____ wiffle balls on tee with bat into fair territory. (or hit bleachers, gradually move the tee farther from the bleachers)
- kick rolling ball into fair territory ____ times
- strike ___ wiffle balls off tee with hand (side arm strike)
- strike teacher tossed balloon with racket ____ times.
- strike wiffle or balloon suspended from string using side arm pattern ____ times.
- self volley balloon with racket continuously for ____sec. while standing in 3-4 diameter space.