|Export to pdf Export to doc|
Name of Activity:
Purpose of Activity:Educate students that drug and alcohol use diminishes our ability to perform tasks that require manual dexterity such as driving a vehicle.
Suggested Grade Level:6-12
1. One pair of gloves or mittens for each team (5-6 students per team).
2. One screw and corresponding nut for each team.
3. One pair of sunglasses for each team (lenses of which have been covered with glue (and the glue is now dry!).
4. A Stop watch.
Description of Idea
Divide the class into equal teams, 5-6 students per team (rows work best
for this activity). Explain that each person must thread the nut all the
way onto the screw and off again, when they have finished they pass to the next teammate and repeat the process until the entire team has completed the task. The facilitator should time this process and record each team's time. Repeat this process incorporating the gloves into the task and record each team's times. Once again repeat the process incorporating the sunglasses into the task - also recording the time it takes each team to accomplish the task.
1. How are the gloves and the sunglasses impairing you in relationships to the way drugs and alcohol impair you?
2. Compare the time each team took to complete the three different tasks, how can this relate to the impact of drugs and alcohol on reaction time?
3. List daily tasks (even some jobs) that would be influenced by alcohol and other drug use?
Repeat this process incorporating the gloves into the task and record each team's times. Once again repeat the process incorporating the sunglasses into the task - also recording the time it takes each team to accomplish the task.
| MoreEmail Lesson
|Email Lesson||Download as pdf|
Submitted by Susan Wolfanger who teaches at Haverling Jr./Sr. High School in Bath , NY . Thanks for contributing to PE Central! Posted on PEC: 5/18/2000.Viewed 105407 times since 8/24/2001.