|Export to pdf Export to doc|
Name of Activity:
Movin’, Groovin’ and Gettin’ Strong (January '09)
Purpose of Activity:Using exercise bands, the students will be able to incorporate rhythm, cardiovascular movement and strength activity with simple dance and locomotor skills.
Suggested Grade Level:K-5
Materials Needed:CD player, one exercise band or dynaband for each student, portable microphone (almost a necessity in order to be able to cue during the routine and above the sound of the music)
Recommended music:“She’ll Be Comin’ Round the Mountain” by Big Smith – Available on the internet at I Tunes or at http://www.bigsmithband.com/music_sale.html. This song is on the From Hay to Zzzzzz – Hillbilly Songs for Kids CD.
Beginning dance formation:Students are in partners around the perimeter of the gym. One person is the “horse” and the other the “driver." The person in front, the horse, has an end of each exercise band in his/her hands. The person in back, the driver, has the other end of each exercise band in his/her hands.
Description of Idea
She’ll be Comin’ Round the Mountain- Movin’, Groovin’ and Gettin’ Strong
• 2 sets of 8 - Introduction – clap to music or march if the students have trouble clapping while holding the exercise bands in each hand.
• 4 sets of 8 - Run to the music with partners as horse and driver
o Cue words: “She’ll be comin’ round the mountain…
• 4 sets of 8 - Gallop to the music with partners as horse and driver. You can switch lead legs on the gallop or switch directions by having the teams turn around and gallop in the opposite direction. (horse becomes driver and driver becomes horse)
o Cue words: “She’ll be drivin’ 6 white horses”
• 4 sets of 8 - Lay band on the ground and jump side to side over band.
o Cue words: Music only
• 4 sets of 8- Place both feet on band and perform bicep curls with both arms.
o Cue words: “We will kill the old red rooster…”
• 4 sets of 8 - With band under feet, handles in each hand, knees flexed, and band stretched tight step to the R touch L next to R foot, step to the L touch R next to the L foot.
o Cue words: “We’ll all have chicken and dumplins..”
• 8 sets of 8 - Triceps extensions – Hold the band behind the waist with the L hand and hold with the R hand above the head, palm up. Extend the band using the R triceps. Repeat this movement for 4 sets of 8. Reverse the hands for the next 4 sets of 8.
o Cue words for first set of triceps extensions: “We will have to sleep with Grandma…”
o Cue words for second set of triceps extensions: “We will wear our pink pajamas…”
• 4 sets of 8 - Lay band on the ground and jump side to side over the band.
• 4 sets of 8 - Run to the music with partners as horse and driver.
o Cue words: “She’ll be comin round the mountain…
• On the final 2 sets of 8 the students can “high 5” R and L.
Since this dance incorporates two health-related fitness concepts: muscular strength and cardiovascular endurance, ask students to name a muscle group that got stronger (triceps, biceps, quadriceps). Emphasize that the heart or cardiac muscle also got stronger and this is called cardiovascular endurance.