|Export to pdf Export to doc|
Name of Activity:
Purpose of Activity:To have children engaged in an activity while they are slowly moving back to their gym numbers.
Prerequisites:We have had prior practice moving to the beat of the drum using counting, spelling, etc. Each drum beat represents one step forward.
Suggested Grade Level:K-5
Description of Idea
When it is time for the children to move to their gym numbers after an activity is completed, I beat the drum using a slow walking beat and the children walk to the drum beat saying any of the following: (teacher chooses one)
- "Count the steps it takes you to get to your gym number."
- "Spell your first name. Say a letter every time your feet take a step."
- "Say your phone number. Take a step for each number."
- "Choose one of your spelling words. Spell it while you take a step for each letter."
- "What is the number you call in an emergency?" (9-1-1)
- Children can recite specific teacher chosen phrases like, "Never start smoking" = 3 steps
- "Name a sport for every step you take."
The possibilities are many! The object is to say a letter, number or word for each step taken. When a child has taken the 7 steps to complete his phone number, he begins saying his phone numbers again until he reaches his destination. All the children may be reciting different letters, numbers and words, but that is the fun of it. The children love this fun way to get from place to place.
Don't use a drum. Children say letters, numbers and words to their own steps.
There are currently no comments to display. Be the first to add a comment!