|Export to pdf Export to doc|
Name of Activity:
Movin' Down the Bunny Trail
Purpose of Activity:To increase heart rate while at the same time having students work on their cooperative skills.
Prerequisites:Basic tumbling skills (e.g., various rolls). Taking own heart rate.
Suggested Grade Level:3-5
Materials Needed:Mats and 100 plastic eggs with 4 eggs painted gold, Strips of material (elastic) to attach to legs for 3-legged walk/run, Stop watches, 10 Hula hoops.
Description of Idea
This activity is set up as an obstacle course for a fun Easter activity. It is done with a partner and the team will measure heart rate at the end of the course.
The course is set up around the playground with the following stations/obstacles:
1. Egg Roll: One of the students gets down on the mat and the partner rolls him/her down the mat (the person on the mat needs to be in the egg roll position). Partners then proceed to Obstacle 2.
2. Hula Hoop Jump: Jump (two feet to two feet) in and out of the hula hoops that are set out on the grass. Student must follow their partner and must land in each hula hoop. You decide how many hoops, the distance this covers, and how far apart they are. Off to Obstacle 3.
3. Three-legged Partner Bunny Hop (students tie legs together with material): Students need to have practice at this and they need to be careful. Encourage them to work together. You decide how far they need to go.
4. Find the Golden Egg: There are 4 buckets with 25 eggs in each. Hidden in each bucket is a golden egg. They must dig through (without knocking the eggs out) and find the egg, hold it in the air showing the teacher. They then proceed to Obstacle 5.
5. Hop and Jump Home: Each picks up an individual jump rope and jumps or hops back home to the hutch.
At that time the teacher and helpers start the clock to check heart rate. Their heart rate is written down to see if it can be improved or what the results are throughout the week of this activity.
Discuss which activities on the course seemed to make their heart go a little faster. Discuss the importance of teamwork.
This can also be a timed event. It is NOT to be run as a relay but timing seemed to encourage the teams to improve their time. You may also want to keep a class time to see how they are doing each day as a class.
May want to consider that if a team doesn't do an obstacle correctly they have to start the course over again?
Adaptations for Students with Disabilities
For students in wheelchairs this works well since it is a partner activity. For the egg roll obstacle it is a chair roll, the hoop jump is hoop roll which is placed on the chair or held if possible. The three-legged race is where the one pushing the chair ties his/her hand to the handle of youngster in the chair if possible. They then can look for the golden egg in the buckets together. On the rope jumping if possible, the youngster in the wheelchair turns the rope and runs over it while the partner pushes.
There are currently no comments to display. Be the first to add a comment!