Note: Missing information is the result of the school district or submitter not providing this information.
Position Name/Title: Physical Education Teacher - Elementary School
Grade Level of Opening:
Application Deadline: 12/13/2017
Job Description & Information:
At Ascend, we seek physical education teachers who are passionate about learning - who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content they're about to teach. We value teachers who truly listen to what students are saying - who create a space for students to think their way through to answers, and who praise their insights and curiosities along the way. Ascend teachers share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
We look for educators who are excited about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serving all students in truly public schools. Above all, we look for educators who are deeply committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap for children in Central Brooklyn.
Why teach at Ascend Public Charter Schools?
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
The physical education teacher will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum. Additionally, the physical education teacher will:
* Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
* Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of restorative practices
* Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
* Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
* Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
The physical education teacher reports to the school director. He or she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the dean of instruction and dean of students.
* Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
* The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
* Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
* Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
* Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
* Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
* Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend Learning offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/v6s68fhw8tc78wfy
Posting will be removed from PE Central: 12/13/2017
This is the person for all candidates to contact if they need more information about the job.
Name: Aaron Obrochta
Application Information and Details
Where applicant materials should be sent.
Ascend Public Charter Schools
Brooklyn, NY 11212
October 2, 2001