|Export to pdf Export to doc
Name of Activity:
Purpose of Activity:To increase cardiovascular fitness and muscular strength.
Prerequisites:Some reading skills needed (but if one struggles then do in pairs), heart rate knowledge.
Suggested Grade Level:3-5
Deck of "UNO" cards
colored signs (1 of each color in UNO deck)
paper card with an exercise listed; ex: red=push ups, yellow=mountain climbers; blue=curl ups, green=bell jumps (or lateral jumps)
wild card draw pile with cards with activities listed on them
Description of Idea
Each student is dealt a UNO card. They are to perform an activity by the following criteria:
- Skip Card -- skip one lap around the gym
- Reverse Card -- jog/walk 1 lap backward around gym
- Draw 2 Card -- draw 2 cards from regular UNO cards and perform the activity which corresponds to the card color using the number of repetitions indicated by the number on the card
- Wild Draw 4 Card -- draw 4 cards from the UNO deck and do all 4 activities
- Wild Card -- draw from the wild draw pile (made up separate and placed in center away from other action) and do the activity listed.
- Number Cards -- the student does the number of repetitions indicated at the activity station corresponding to the color. Example: A student draws a card that is 5 red. Go to the red sign with the exercise listed and do 5 push ups or whatever that sign has listed.
After completing an activity the student gives the card back to the teacher and the student is dealt another card. Continue this for a set amount of time or each student must complete a certain number of cards.
Here is an updated version of the activity that allows you to do this at home.
UNO Fitness at Home from Kevin Tiller (Physed Review)
Other types of "fun" activities could be included such as jumping rope, bench steps or dyna-band type stretches to get away from traditional exercises.
Try the activity as a group challenge. Can your group do X amount of the activity in a given amount of time?
Did the students keep their heart rate in the healthy heart or aerobic zone the entire time?
Adaptations for Students with Disabilities
Students with reading or color identifying difficulties can pair up with a partner and use a buddy system. Have everyone go with a partner and do the activity together.
For wheelchair bound students their partner can push them a 1/2 lap rather walk/jog a lap, etc.