|Export to pdf Export to doc
Name of Activity:
Burst the Bubble
Purpose of Activity:To reinforce proper overhand and underhand throwing skills.
Activity cues:OVERHAND THROW: •Point non-throwing side/shoulder to the target. •Throwing arm way back behind head. •Step with opposite foot towards target. •Follow through by letting throwing arm come across the opposite side of the body. UNDERHAND THROW: •Face target. •Step with opposite foot from throwing arm. •Arm goes back like a grandfather clock. •Arm swings forward and releases ball.
Prerequisites:Proper form for throwing overhand and underhand.
Suggested Grade Level:K-2
Materials Needed:10-15 hula hoops, yarn balls (1 for each student), polyspots (1 for each student), throwing rubric Overhand and Underhand Throwing Rubric
Description of Idea
Polyspots are used to make a large square. Hula hoops are scattered inside the square and represent bubbles.
* Each student stands on one polyspot.
* The object of the activity is to overhand throw the ball and try to “burst” the bubble. (If a ball is thrown and lands in the bubble, it bursts.)
* The teacher picks up all the bubbles that burst to make the activity more challenging -- before signaling for students to WALK towards a ball. (For safety reasons, students should walk to the ball nearest them.)
* Once students have a ball they find a new polyspot to stand on.
* Repeat the activity until there are only a few hoops left to burst.
* Repeat activity for the underhand throw.
Two attached throwing rubrics.