|Download as pdf|
Name of Activity:
Mexican Hat Dance Parachute Routine
Purpose of Activity:To develop object manipulation skill and collaborative skills using a parachute in celebration of Cinco De Mayo
Prerequisites:Students should have an understanding of previously learned parachute movement patterns including,Umbrella, Mushroom, Merry-go-round, Mountain and Onion sequences.
Suggested Grade Level:3-5
Materials Needed:Parachute, Mexican Hat Dance song
Description of Idea
Students are positioned around a parachute and hold onto the shoot at the location of a specific color pattern(red, yellow, blue or green). The students complete the dance sequence for the Mexican Hat Dance using various parachute movement patterns. The dance sequence is as follows. Right Heel, Left Heel, Right Heel, 2 Claps. This sequence is repeated eight times for each progression with the parachute being held under the arms. The following parachute progressions are then added with the dance sequence performed during each:
1. Umbrella Blue-parachute will be raised over head (8 counts) and students holding BLUE color will cross under, then bring it back down (8 counts).
2. Umbrella Yellow-parachute is immediately raised over head again (8 count) and students holding YELLOW color will cross under, then bring it back down (8 count)
3. Right Heel, left heel, right heel, 2 claps ..repeat 8 times
4. Umbrella Red - Parachute will be raised over head (8 count) and students holding RED color will cross under, then bring it back down (8 count).
5. Umbrella Green - Then parachute will be immediately raised over head again (8 count) and students holding GREEN color will cross under, then bring it back down (8 count)
6. Right Heel, left heel, right heel, 2 claps ..repeat 8 times
7. Mushroom - bring parachute over head and walk into center 4 steps, then walk backwards 4 steps (8 counts)
8. Immediatley repeat Mushroom for next 8 counts.
9. Right Heel, left heel, right heel, 2 claps ..repeat 8 times
10. Merry -go-round walking clockwise (16 counts)
11. Right Heel, left heel, right heel, 2 claps ..repeat 8 times
12. Make a mountain and pull it down so all children are sitting under it, then children scoot on their bottoms toward the center of the parachute, turning the mountain into an Onion.
| MoreEmail Lesson
|Email Lesson||Download as pdf|
Submitted by Kim Parker who teaches at Martin Elementary in North Attleboro, MA. Thanks for contributing to PE Central! Posted on PEC: 5/28/2011.Viewed 55497 times since 4/13/2011.